Maine Family Had A Carbon Monoxide Scare, How To Stay Safe
According to WGME a leaking external heat pump was to blame for sending three people from a home in Poland to the hospital last week from Carbon monoxide poisoning.The gas had left two people partially responsive and one person completely unresponsive. According to the fire chief, If they had been asleep the gas could have proven deadly. There were no CO detectors in the home.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas and it can lead to sickness, coma, even death. The Maine Division of Environmental Health says some warning signs include: nausea, confusion, vomiting, shortness of breath and headache. Flu-like symptoms without a fever.
Here are some suggestions for keeping your family and pets safe from CO:
- never leave your car running in your garage to warm it up
- have a CO detector outside of every sleeping space
- never ignore a CO detector that is going off
- by law every rental unit must have CO detectors, check with your landlord if yours does not
- don't use indoor cooking stoves for heat
- burn only K-1 grade fuel in kerosene heaters and run them only with ventilation, crack a window at least one inch
- set up your generator in a well ventilated area at least 15 feet from your house, other building, windows and doors