That Smell Isn’t Dirty Socks: SMCC Relocates 300+ Students For Toxic Mold Cleanup in Dorms
Ouch... this just isn't a good way to start the semester.
That smell you're smelling? Not dirty clothes.
That's black mold.
Southern Maine Community College was forced to close one of the dorms this week, and relocate more than 300 students for weeks after the toxic mold was discovered.
Students are less than thrilled.
The Portland Press Herald reported this week that the relocation happened in the 10-year-old Spring Point Residence Hall, and that students claimed that the school was too slow to let them know about the problem.
Black mold is one of the worst kinds of mold, and sickens thousands of people across the US every year.